Monday, June 29, 2009

Granola...It's what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner

So far this pregnancy I've had a love affair with fruit smoothies, Trader Joe's frozen macaroni and cheese, and now home made granola. I got this recipe from Sarah's mother Fran. Fran is a do-it-your-selfer in every possible way. She is a wealth of the kind of knowledge I'd like to have. So whenever she is in town I try to learn something new from her.


I find this granola to be delectable. It's crunchy, golden goodness has no equal. I find myself eating at least two bowls a day lately. The original recipe didn't call for flax or pumkin seeds but I think they add that little something extra plus they're very good for you.

The recipe is as follows:
6 cups rolled oats
2 cups shredded coconut
2 cups chopped nuts( I use half almonds and half pecans)
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
3/4 to 1 cup honey(to taste)
3/4 to 1 cup melted butter(to taste)
1 T cinnamon
1 t salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine oats, coconut, nuts, and seeds in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine melted butter, honey, cinnamon, and salt. Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Spread onto cookie trays and place on top rack of oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 5 minutes.

This recipe makes a lot so if you're not feeding an army you could cut in half.
Enjoy!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try it!! Im definitely copying this and sending it to my sister, she's a huge recipe fan- and pregnant- so she just might really appreciate this :)

Helena said...

Yum! My mom used to make granola. It was so good!